Wednesday 5 November 2014

Online No One Can Hear You Scream: Week Four


Hello!
So yes, October is over but I still have one last week of my 'Online No One Can Hear You Scream' series left to share with you.

If you have seen my previous posts, you will know for the whole of October I have been watching loads of horror films and doing little reviews on them.

I've really enjoyed doing these posts, even if at times I've sadly not got them up in time. 
So here we go, my last horror film week!

The Blair Witch Project
  •  Year Released: 1999
  • Director: Daniel Myrick & Eduardo Sanchez
  • Starring: Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, Joshua Leonard
Three student filmmakers set out to Burkittsville, Maryland to make a documentary about the urban legend of The Blair Witch. After camping in the woods, they soon after disappear. A year later their footage has been found.

Everyone probably will know this film by now. It was massive in 1999!
Personally, I will never really understand the hype that surrounded this film. Saying that even know it's not the first 'found footage' style of film, I do think it ended up inspiring a lot of the films we have. For better or worse...
 
It's a slow one that is for sure and personally it just never gets scary for me. The ending gets pretty darn close to it but sadly it just doesn't leave you very satisfied. It's also one of those films where you just struggle to really care about the characters. They spend so much of the film whining and moaning that you may end up rooting for the 'bad guy'. Whatever that bad guy actually was. 
 
Don't get me wrong, it's a highly watchable film. I enjoy the shaky camera work and the fact you don't ever actually see what is 'stalking' them, which is effective but after it I felt a bit, well, meh over the whole thing. 
 
It's a film that could have been great. The story behind it all is a disturbing one but sadly I just found myself frustrated by the whole thing. It really only gets good at the end (and I'm someone who likes a slow build up)


The Babadook
  • Year Released: 2014
  • Director: Jennifer Kent
  • Starring: Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman, Daniel Henshall
 
   Since the death of her husband, a mother has had to bring up her son who seems to be having behavioral problems and eventually she has to take him out of school. After reading him a pop up book that is not what it seems, she finds herself being haunted by a sinister presence.

FINALLY!
I have found a new horror film that is actually good!
It's not a film that relies on gore or cheap jump scares but plays with your mind. It's a sad story and, excluding the paranormal parts of it, one that probably happens a lot to families. The two leads are just fantastic in their roles of a mother and son torn apart by tragedy. 

This is a film that will make you care but also scare the absolute crap out of you. It's lack of too much CGI is highly effective and I love how you never really see 'The Babadook'. It really plays into the whole, was it real or all in their heads business? 

Many horror films go for the whole 'creepy' child thing and at the start you do think this is going to go the same way, but it's all about the mother and her struggles that grips you.

 My only negative about this film is I felt some of the supporting characters really had no point being there. We got introduced to them then just nothing from them again. It seemed a little odd. Also sadly the climax of the film was a little bit lost and lacking a 'bang' as such but it is very emotional. 

I don't want to give too much away about this film as I really think you should all watch it. It's haunting and will really make you think for days after. 

(also you may never look at a coat hanging up in the way same way ever again)

28 Days Later
  • Year Released:  2002
  • Director: Danny Boyle
  • Starring: Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, Megan Burns, Brendan Gleeson

A group of animal activists break into a laboratory in the hope of saving chimpanzees that are being experimented on but it all goes wrong. Twenty eight days later, Jim wakes up in a coma to find that London is deserted and a virus that causes rage has infected almost everyone. 
  Zombie films are everywhere. From the classics like Night of The Living Dead to the highly popular The Walking Dead, it seems like we are a little obsessed with the idea. This could really be counted as a zombie flick but we aren't dealing with the usual slow walking, rotting, brain eating kind here. This type are faster and much more vicious. 

Like a lot of apocalyptic films, as well as shocking you with gore and fear, it also goes into how humans could cope with a situation like this. Sometimes that can be the scariest thing.
Cillian Murphy's character is a prime example of this. He finds him self thrust into this new world but still tries to keep his humanity by helping a family survive. However, even he succumbs to violence and ruthlessness to stay alive. 
 
This is one of my favourite films. Not just because Mr Murphy is in the buff at the start......
 
It's gruesome but not in a pointless shocking manner. It has it's jumpy scenes but it's the fear of 'what if' that is truly scary about this film. Again like Babadook, it starts to lose itself a little at the end but it's still a great film that hooks you from start to finish!


 
 So there you!
My horror film marathon is over. I really wish I could have had more time to speak about all the other films I watched, but here is a little list of my favourites that you should check out:
 
  •  The Shining
  • The Cabin In The Woods
  • Evil Dead
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Nosferatu
  • Shaun Of The Dead
  • Carrie
  • Sinister
  • The Omen
  • The Descent 
  • Scream
  • REC
 I've really enjoyed these little film reviews even if it's just been me rambling about how rubbish a lot of them were...  
 
I may try do more themed film reviews in the future, so if you have any suggestions on ideas on things to watch, I would love to hear them!
 
Till the next time!
 
X


No comments:

Post a Comment